Thursday, January 13, 2011

Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy


I decided to embark on a new adventure during my break, owning goldfish. I haven't owned any in a really long time and I grew to miss those little guys. So I decided to go out and buy a tank and all the fixin's.

I didn't realize how expensive fish stuff had become! I went to the local fish store, which is locally owned, and bought my tank and initial start up stuff from them. So 120 dollars later, I go home to set up everything. Later on I realize I needed a couple of things, and since it was late at night I went to the "local" Walmart to get said missing pieces, an air pump and bubble stone. Lo and behold while looking around I see a 10 gallon aquarium starter kit there...for 30 bucks less than what I spent at the local place. So rather than get angry, which was extremely difficult, I chalked it up to supporting a local store.



The next day I go to get the fish, at the local store again. Even though it was going to be the same price as getting them from Walmart, I wanted to talk with people who know their fish stuff, not just going "how can I help you" rhetorically. I picked 3 fan-tail gold fish, one black with bubble-like eyes, one classic goldie and a sliver one with black and gold spots. The fish store guys recommended I get a couple of Cory catfish to keep the bottom of the tank clean and wait a couple of weeks to get an algae eater.


Well, over the next few days I end up going to Walmart more and more for fish stuff. It's amazing what can go wrong. First, the water started clouding up immediately, so I went and bought water a water declouder (?) and then some stuff to get rid of the nitrogen those little bugger make in excess quantities. That didn't work. In fact it got cloudier and cloudier.

So on Sunday I replaced six of the 10 gallons....then it kept getting even cloudier to my amazement. So that night at like 1:30 in the morning I run into Walmart to buy a new filter. I figured if I waited until I had free time on Monday they'd all be dead. Well, I get to the store and find out that the pet section is roped off to be waxed. I just started laughing uncontrollably...it probably looked scary. So a big, burly guy helped me get a filter, by that I mean me standing 20 feet away telling him what I'm looking for. After all that I get home, plug in the new filter and watch it start cleaning the water instantly.

Monday rolls around, I go to feed the fish and after doing so I see the water cloud up again immediately. I was pissed. I called the store to see what I could do, she said to only feed them once per day. But to address the cloudiness I should take out some water and replace it. So while wearing slacks and a sweater, just back from my first day at the CVB and waiting for class, I start siphoning off water and replacing it. I come back from class and see that the water is now crystal clear, so I'm happy.

Tuesday was uneventful, just feeding and watching them swim around lazily.

Wednesday I decided to do some updating. I took out the huge fake plant that was too tall and replace it with a much smaller one. I replaced the small bubble stone with an elongated one that sits on the bottom of the aquarium. Then I added a thermometer, replaced all the food that was clouding the tank with another brand. But perhaps the biggest change I wanted to make dealt with the light in the hood. I wanted to find a lower wattage, less bright one. The poor fish would run and hide when I turned it on and would literally shake; it was just too intense for them. So after buying not one, but two lights...thinking I had only bought one, I find out that they won't work with my hood.


So I went full on MacGuyver with the light. Since it's separate from the hood, and actually shines through a piece of glass, I decided to put some folded pieces of paper between the light and the hood. It worked. The fish weren't scared and they could get the light they needed.

I have no idea what the future will bring, but needless to say I'm sure I won't be bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment