Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Adding Lightness

That is the motto for Lotus cars, the idea is simple, lighter is better. The same can be said when it comes to cooking. So tonight for dinner I decided to try not only a new recipe, but to try and make it lighter and still taste great.

We saw an ad for these ham and cheese crescent roll ups. They looked good, so I went and looked up the recipe, here.

At the bottom of the page were the nutritional facts, and needless to say, I was shocked. The big highlights were:
200 calories
12 grams of fat
650 mg of sodium
That is for each roll up, and the recipe makes 8.

So while at the store, I decided to try and find all the same ingredients, but healthier. Somewhat. So I purchased reduced fat crescent rolls, reduced sodium ham and fat-free cheese. After crunching the numbers, here's what the results were.
116 calories
4.5 grams of fat
368 mg of sodium.

Not bad, the taste was still great and I was able to reduce the big factors, fat and sodium. These are the numbers I'm watching this coming year.

Yes, I said this coming year. My new years resolution is the same as every year for the last 15, to lose weight. But this year, I have to stick to it. I've watched what happens with my parents when you don't take care of your health and I'm tired of just looking like a slob.

The first major step I took was to cut out fast food. So far this month I have only had it for two meals, and I still feel guilty about it. But it's better than what was going on before. I used to have to clean out my center armrest compartment once a month because it was so full of fast food receipts. Now, I not only have more money in my bank account, but I have five fewer pounds on my body and my waist has shrunk by at least an inch. Not bad for 22 days without fast food.

It's also my goal to become a vegetarian by the end of the year. But let me re-phrase that. Someone who doesn't eat beef, pork, chicken, or any other terrestrial animal. I love seafood too much to get rid of it, and seafood isn't that bad for you anyway.

These two goals, no fast food and becoming a some-what vegetarian, are not mutually exclusive. Since my craving for fast food has reduced, I no longer crave meat as much as well. So I'll see how this goes, since it is only January.

I also hope to experiment with other recipes and see how I can reduce the fat and salt in them as well. I already have some tricks up my sleeve, but the big question is, will everyone else in the house help or hurt?

The other day I came home to find out that our dinner was going to hamburgers and french fries. I used to be able to eat 2 of dad's huge, salty burgers and a couple of helpings of fries. But I found myself only able to eat one burger and not even a handful of fries. The smell of the frying foods and salt was just too much for me. So I know my body's needs and wants are changing.

Will I miss meats? Will I still try to eat healthy? Who knows? I've tried it before and have failed. But I see my health as a ticking time bomb. No one can remain as obese as I am and be healthy. I also have histories of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, strokes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol on both sides of my family. So it's only a matter of time until something happens. And when it does, will I be able to say that I did my best to stop it? Will I be able to admit to not being in control and not taking responsibility for my situation?

That's what I feel my lifestyle changes are about; control and responsibility. I need to be able to take control of what goes into my body and accept responsibility for what I have done to my body over time. Changing my lifestyle is more than just getting healthy, it's about taking control for the first time in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment