Sunday, January 29, 2012

Role Reversal

A couple of weeks ago I sliced my thumb pretty good while making dinner. Let's just say that the knife was going faster and was a lot sharper than I realized. So long story short, I couldn't finish making the dinner on my own. That's when I asked mom for some help.

I was making meatloaf for dinner, something that my parents love to eat, and I love to make. I remember helping mom or dad make it when I was kid, I seemed to love squishing the meat together. So to have mom help me and learn how I made it, seemed a little strange. It was a case of role reversal. Me showing her how to make something; how much of this to add, how long to cook it, etc.

I truly believe that I got my love of cooking from spending time in the kitchen with my parents. It was more than just cooking, it was spending time with them. If my mom is to be believed, then I started cooking at around age three, I would be out in the kitchen, pulling my stool around and gathering things to make cookies. And no matter how they turned out, mom and dad would always smile and say that they were the best they ever had. So not only was it doing something with them, there was positive reinforcement and confidence building.

But that night spent with my mom in the kitchen, with her helping me, brought back many memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment